Ethiopia is going through a phase of reconstruction and infrastructure development. This
Cement Plant has been set up to give a boost to this effort and at the same time reduce
cement imports, utilize indigenous resources, provide direct employment and promote
development of transport, construction and ancillary industry.
Messebo Building Materials
Production Share Company, Ethiopia (MBMP)
Commercial Bank of Ethiopia
Development Bank of Ethiopia
Construction and Business Bank
Private Limited, India
Design & Supply of
Construction & Erection Works
Enka Insaat Ve Sanayi A.S., Turkey
Objective of Consulting
To monitor the performance of the Supplier
and of the Contractor appointed by the Owner for establishment of the Cement Plant in
terms of time, cost and capability to produce at guaranteed output
Key Project Data
|Belt Conveyor from
Crusher to Plant Site
||2 x 100 tph
|Fuel Oil Tank
Scope of Consulting
- Review of contract documents, design documents/reports and
- Inspection of machinery and equipment at manufacturers
- Evaluation of raw material quality, preparation of raw mix
design, mine planning and supervision of mines development.
- Preparation of implementation and expenditure schedules on
the basis of the contracts with Supplier and the Contractor.
- System design for recording/certification of quantities and
for monitoring and control of construction and erection activities.
- Supervision of work, certification of tests and measurements
executed by the Supplier and the Contractor to ensure compliance with contract plans and
- Co-ordination of works of the Supplier and the Contractor to
minimise the implementation period.
- Preparation of certificates for payments to Supplier and
- Assistance in resolving disputes or differences that may
arise between the Owner, the Supplier and the Contractor. Assistance to the Owner in
settling claims of the Supplier and the Contractor.
- Preparation of monthly and annual progress reports,
financial reports and reports requested by funding agencies.
- Supervision of commissioning and preparation of provisional
acceptance certificates to the Supplier and the Contractor.
- Approval of the Suppliers as built drawings
incorporating all revisions and changes introduced during implementation.
- Organising the latest revisions of complete project
documentation for the Owner.
- Preparation of Final Project Report containing a
comprehensive record of the implementation of the whole project.
For carrying out the above
activities, competent teams of professionals were assigned both at the home office and the
project site. Manpower equivalent to about 200 man months was deployed at site alone, for
carrying out the above activities resulting in successful commissioning of the Cement
Plant in April 2000. The project site being only 100 km from the border where one of the
fiercest war was on during the implementation of the project, our professionals had to
work at site in adverse conditions and provide the required support to the Owner.